Altarum, a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization serving government and private sector clients, is pleased to announce an opening for a Software Engineer within the Center for Connected Health. The Center for Connected Health advances population health management and healthcare delivery through the development of novel applications and health information exchange and interoperability solutions.
As a Software Engineer at Altarum, you will have the opportunity to make software and web development contributions to important healthcare projects such as java based web applications for public health, clinical decision support tools, EHR integration, and mobile applications. You’ll work in an Agile environment alongside a team of Software Developers, Business Analysts, and Public Health Analysts.
This is a W-2 position that will be dedicated to working on one of our cutting-edge projects to revamp a public health disease surveillance system that is anticipated to end in December 2022.
- Work with a team of software engineers and analysts in developing systems that meet all technical and business requirements.
- Design highly scalable software solutions to improve functionality and system longevity.
- Able to effectively communicate with business leaders.
- Experience in developing prototypes of new concepts and technologies
- Experience in software development methodologies and standards, test-driven development, data analysis, and reporting.
- While maintaining current production code, you must demonstrate a willingness to step into new roles and learn new technologies quickly.
- Be innovative and share ideas as we evaluate new or alternative data processing techniques to determine their usefulness in meeting project needs and deadlines.
- BS degree in computer science; 3+ years of experience working on Java/J2EE applications, strong knowledge of Object Orientated Programming, and experience with multiple databases.
- Must have strong java fundamentals and experience with Spring or Spring Boot, Hibernate, JSON and XML
- Experience with Microservice designs and architectures, Service-oriented architecture (SOA), formal patterns etc
- Technical development experience with REST/SOAP web services.
- Experience using cloud-based servers like AWS is a plus.
- Experience with modern SDLC tools - Git, JIRA, Artifactory, Jenkins/TeamCity, OpenShift, Gradle
- Prefer experience processing Medical Document formats like HL7 / QRDA III / FHIR or processing other custom formatted files.
- Mobile development experience is a plus.
- Enjoy working with a dynamic team, flexible and possess a good foundation of software development skills.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and a quick learner. You should have a broad base of software development experience, and be interested in continuing to grow technically via hands on experience and learning
- At this time we will only accept candidates who are presently eligible to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship
Altarum Institute (Altarum) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We improve the health of at-risk and disenfranchised populations by building better systems of care and empowering all people to make well informed health decisions. Public sector clients include the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Agriculture, Department of Veterans Affairs, and various state agencies nationwide. Altarum also serves clients in the philanthropic and private sectors. Areas of expertise include military health, women’s health, behavioral health and substance use disorders, health disparities and equity, continuing medical education and quality improvement, eldercare, public health interoperability, and disease surveillance.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.