We are looking for innovative and collaborative Senior Product Marketing Managers (Sr PMM) to help lead our Product Marketing team. In this role, you will be the Marketing Lead and SME supervising a team of PMMs, each directly supporting 2-4 Product teams. As a leader and thought-partner, you’ll focus on driving strategy that accelerates Root’s growth and optimizes the customer experience for our existing products and features, while guiding the development of positioning and go-to-market strategies and tactics for new products, partnerships, features, or experiences. You’ll collaborate with senior leaders across the business in strategy, planning, and cross-functional team management to align roadmap development and execution. You will need outstanding holistic marketing, collaboration, and leadership skills, with a proven ability to independently lead strategic positioning efforts, develop consumer-centric product marketing strategies, and deliver on recommendations.
Reports to Director, Product Marketing. This position is full-time, on-site in Columbus, OH (currently working remote)
What You'll Do.
- You’ll be the Marketing leader at the table with Product, Design, Sales, Account Management, Analytics, and Engineering at every phase of product development. You’ll be the expert on the product as you partner with your Marketing and Creative to refine your strategy and execute on the Marketing components of the product roadmap, delivering exceptional quality and achieving aggressive growth goals.
- Lead: Assess and prioritize strategy and implementation plans, balancing customer, partner and Root benefits with cost and resource needs. Represent an area of business with Product and Marketing Leadership. Engage and empower others, inspiring cross-functional teams and direct reports, excelling at relationship management. Hire, train, retain, and develop exceptional product marketers.
- Explore: Leverage (and gather) insights to identify market opportunities. Bring key consumer and Root Marketing insights and learnings to the forefront of team discussions. Understand the broader internal and external consumer/customer context, ask good questions, and push strategic thinking. Partner with Product teams to influence the roadmap and departmental strategy. Establish Marketing KPIs and provide recommendations to the cross-functional team on opportunities to improve performance.
- Plan: Lead strategic development of product marketing opportunities. Recommend value propositions, consumer experiences, and cross-channel marketing strategies, balancing customer and partner benefits with Root business, cost, and resource needs. Straddle the line of art and science, strategically considering ways to iteratively test, measure, and optimize the user experience (A/B & multivariate). Bridge Product initiatives and Marketing priorities, proactively connecting cross-functional teams from both directions. Maintain Product Marketing roadmaps.
- Execute: Refine and deliver on action plans, collaboratively with all relevant stakeholders. Provide guidance and direction on creative briefs and work side-by-side with Product Design and Marketing Creative leadership to guide the creation and delivery of assets across all phases of marketing, including lead generation and nurturing, conversion, customer communications, etc. Manage projects and timelines to deliver on time and with exceptional quality. Act as a voice of the consumer and a champion of the Root brand.
- Analyze: Establish program KPIs and provide recommendations to the cross-functional team on opportunities to improve business performance. Continuously optimize ROI over time through rapid experimentation and iteration.
What Will Help You Be Successful.
- 8+ years of experience launching and scaling marketing programs. Experience in product marketing, independently leading strategic positioning efforts, and GTM strategy strongly preferred.
- Passion for driving business results, with expertise in designing highly effective (and efficient) multi-channel, lead generation, consumer acquisition, or lifecycle marketing campaigns.
- Experience working with in-house and agency creative teams, with an ability to drive marketing strategy and translate business marketing plans into clear and actionable creative requests.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing and motivating others, guiding others’ professional development
- Able to think strategically with an understanding of holistic marketing planning and execution.
- Superior cross-functional collaboration skills. Able to easily context switch based on audience, translate needs from one team to another, and influence stakeholders to achieve alignment. Thrives in cross-functional/matrixed environments.
- Analytical thinker with experience in data-driven marketing. Able to independently analyze data, as well as partner with Analysts and Data Scientists to uncover deeper insights. Experience running A/B & multivariate testing is highly preferred.
- Comfortable creating structure from ambiguity; a highly motivated self-starter.
- Undergraduate degree in Business or related field. MBA or graduate degree preferred.
Who We Are
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What Draws People To Root
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us