Mobile Telematics Engineer
We are looking to hire a talented Mobile Telematics Engineer for our Telematics team. Native Telematics is a core product service that has laid the foundation for what Root is today. This team owns proprietary software and SDKs that enable the collection of driving telemetry from mobile devices. In this role, you will be responsible for innovating and improving Root’s technology around telematics data collection as well as helping to grow and maintain the health of our mobile apps.
Senior Engineers are our strongest individual contributors, and we expect them to meet or exceed all of the technical and non-technical expectations of a Senior Software Engineer.
Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you in working in
whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
How You Will Make an Impact:
As Senior Engineer, you will be responsible for applying superior knowledge of design principles and best-of-class software development practices. The Senior Engineer will work collaboratively with other engineering teams to support Root products.
You will evaluate the detailed sensory data we collect enabling Root to use sophisticated data science models to assess the risk of potential customers, and maintain a competitive moat around our pricing models.
What You Will Need to Succeed:
- Deep understanding of Swift, native frameworks, client-server architecture, and web technologies
- Experience working with background execution on mobile devices, mobile application lifecycle, APIs, location libraries, motion libraries, and permissions
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software
- Mastery of debugging and leveraging tools like logging, stack traces, and metrics
- Experienced with several programming paradigms
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, data analysis, and version control tools
- Adequate understanding of infrastructure and DevOps
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex tasks/projects without supervision
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features
- Completes large pre-planned tasks in an efficient manner
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Understands and takes into account business goals in their technical decisions
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
Working with Others
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Able to coach engineers on software engineering techniques and best practices
- Work closely with Product to deliver high-quality features
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. We encourage you to apply if you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who We Are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematics platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech
Insurance companies in the world.
What Draws People to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.