Senior Backend Developer
Our Client is looking for a Senior Backend Developer to help them scale their backend infrastructure as their product continues to grow!
You’ll be responsible for developing new key features, expanding upon existing features, and solving challenging problems in their evolving backend environment. You’ll work alongside an experienced team of senior backend engineers and be involved in technical & product strategy, architecture, and inter-team collaboration in order to deliver a robust and performant backend.
You’ll need to be well-versed with RESTful design patterns, database architecture, networking strategies, and overall backend optimization. You must be able to help scope and produce robust features that will directly integrate into their front-end application.
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll be a backend wizard and a master of the console, understanding how to traverse the world of linux, scripting, and cloud environments. You’ll know how to ssh through bastion servers in order to troubleshoot issues occurring in the cloud.
You’ll be an expert on APIs, databases, caching, networking, and you’ll be eager to dive into their existing backend infrastructure and learn how it interfaces with their frontend. You’ll want to touch application code to complete the bridge between frontend and backend, creating a comprehensive API for their frontend developers to use.
You’ll be passionate about TTRPGs and gaming and have a genuine enthusiasm for the accessible and fun digital TTRPG they’re creating in Fablecraft. You’ll be a collaborator on product direction and contribute your ideas and thoughts during company planning meetings.
You’ll have ample experience in building and scaling backend environments, have a passion for performant systems, and bring a positive and collaborative energy to the team!
It’s our client’s priority to build a diverse team, and we welcome applications from candidates who identify as being part of minority or underrepresented groups of any kind. The more diversity they have within their team, the better they will be.
Experience / Requirements
- Strong demonstrable proficiency of Python and API frameworks.
- Strong demonstrable experience building and scaling backend systems.
- Strong understanding of microservices and RESTful API design.
- Strong understanding of data architecture.
- Strong experience with DDL for creating and interfacing with databases.
- Strong understanding of Redis and caching layers.
- Strong understanding of networking concepts and implementations.
- Understanding of WebSockets and/or other socket level programming
- Experience with working in a cloud environment.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working with Postgres.
- Experience working with Linux
- This is a fully remote role, but candidates must be based in the US.
- Open to traveling to cons and company events.
- Experience working within the AWS ecosystem.
- Experience working in the gaming industry.
- Experience using Unity Real-Time Development Platform.
- Experience working in C#.
- An understanding of WebRTC, connection topologies, and signaling strategies.
- An understanding of data-pipelining and how to manage large sets of data.
- CI/CD experience, and managing Github actions.
- Experience in, and enthusiasm for, playing TTRPGs.
Your day-to-day responsibilities
- You’ll create new RESTful microservices and expand upon existing microservices.
- You’ll interface with our various databases, always keeping an eye out for optimizations.
- You’ll touch the full pipeline of information transfer between back and frontend, including lower level Unity and C#.
- You’ll collaborate with multiple teams and brainstorm ideas to solve challenging problems.
- You’ll report directly to the CTO and be involved in the scoping and planning of tasks.
Why work with our client?
- They offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a healthy work/life balance – no crunch here!
- You’ll join their team in its infant stages, so you’ll have the opportunity to define and evolve their brand in a meaningful way.
- They are all extremely passionate and enthusiastic about games of all kinds - and \*especially\* about creating a TTRPG that’s more accessible to all kinds of gamers. If you want to nerd out, you’ve come to the right place.
- They have company retreats twice a year which is really just playing games under the guise of being productive.
- They are fully remote and span a few time zones, but they maintain a close-knit, communicative environment - you won’t be on an island!
Total compensation: Annual salary 130k-180k+ Benefits, and work/life balance
Base pay may vary further depending on individualized factors for candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may include other elements, including equity awards and a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits.
About Our Client
They are an independent game studio on a mission to make TTRPGs more accessible to all. Their first product, is a digital tabletop roleplaying game designed to be easy to pick up and play with your friends, no matter your experience level.
Their game has its own world setting and game system, and its own digital platform that makes play more seamless and intuitive, while maintaining all of the roleplaying drama you know and love.
They’re working towards a Kickstarter in April, and a general launch late this year/early next. The game will be free to download on Steam and iOS, and will include a subscription model after general release.
The flagship game is a cooperative digital tabletop RPG that’s vibrant, hopeful, and easy to pick up and play. Get started quickly, journey into the magical worlds, and enjoy rich adventures in sessions of 90 minutes or less!