At Grand Circus, we are passionate about educating people for high-growth careers in coding and other technology jobs. We know that anyone can be a developer. We train students for jobs in the fastest-growing tech companies in Michigan and across the country. Make a huge impact as our newest instructor!
WHAT DOES AN INSTRUCTOR DO?
Grand Circus instructors change students’ lives by sharing their expertise and developer skills with a diverse student cohort. Instructors ensure that students have all of the technical skills they need to be career-ready at the end of their training experience. Instructors also work closely with teaching assistants, program managers, curriculum managers, and the Director of Learning. In action, this means that instructors are responsible for:
- Sharing a passion and enthusiasm for software development
- Leading daily classroom activities; everything from technical lectures, to labs, to review sessions, to project demos
- Providing real-world examples and technical context for lessons to help students learn in a rapidly changing environment
- Providing timely and helpful feedback to students in the classroom and responding to inquiries on community channels
- Building a supportive classroom environment for all learners
- May need to adjust material and examples to adapt to student and/or employer needs, under the guidance of the Curriculum Manager and Director of Learning
- Collaborate with other members of the Grand Circus team–program managers, curriculum managers, teaching assistants, and the Director of Learning–about student progress and classroom needs
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We want someone to lead our immersive courses, including a full bootcamp or shorter training units. When it comes to skills, we’re looking for a new instructor who
- Has at least 2 years of developer experience with Java
- Is competent to teach the following topics in Java;
- Java language fundamentals
- Object-oriented programming
- Layers and File IO
- Java advanced libraries and Spring
- Java and Spring data access
- React or Angular
- Able to communicate complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and/or teaching
- Cares deeply about community
- Obsesses about preparation and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
- Is available for teaching online/remote evening courses, currently focused on the Eastern Time Zone, but may be expanding to other U.S. time zones.
It would be awesome if our new instructor also…
- Has a degree in Computer Science
- Has previous teaching experience
- Has worked on open-source projects
SO, WHAT ARE THE PERKS?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being a Grand Circus instructor. It’s hard to beat the feeling when alumni reach out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re responsible for shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Competitive compensation
- Regular feedback for instructional growth
- Becoming a part of the nerdiest, coolest team at Grand Circus
HOW TO APPLY:
If this position sounds right for you, we’re excited to meet you!
Email your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Java Instructor – -” along with a cover letter in the body of the email that answers the following questions:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” What does this mean to you?
- Do you have projects you can describe (and can share) that demonstrate your abilities with Java? Please provide a link(s) to your projects in Github.
Help by Sharing
Share this job with friends and family
Tip: Paste this link anywhere