At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in the fastest-growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating individuals pursuing a career transition in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. Come make a huge impact with us as our teaching assistant (TA)!
WHAT DOES A TEACHING ASSISTANT DO?
- Overseeing lab time, including mentoring and tutoring students on individual and group projects.
- Providing student feedback & support on labs & exercises
- Class, lab and assessment attendance monitoring and grading
- Troubleshoot technical issues students face
- Provide office hour support to students
- Working with program managers, teaching assistants, and the Director of Learning to respond to student feedback
- Responding to student inquiries on Slack
- Communicating with program managers and the Director of Learning about student progress
- Providing real-world examples and context for lessons
- Building a supportive classroom environment
- Adjusting curriculum and content to support the instructor
- Sharing passion and enthusiasm for development
Teaching Assistants may also teach some classroom sessions as needed and as qualified to do so.
SO, WHAT ARE THE PERKS?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being a Grand Circus teaching assistant. It’s hard to beat the feeling that accompanies alumni reaching out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re essentially shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Regular feedback for instructional growth
- Opportunities to grow as an instructor
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for a new teaching assistant who…
- Has the ability to learn
- Can demonstrate advanced knowledge of Java (through work experience, schooling, technical assessment, or all three!)
- Communicates complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and/or teaching
- Cares deeply about the community
- Obsesses about preparation and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
It would be awesome if our new teaching assistant also…
- Has GitHub experience
- Has work experience in software development with relevant technologies
- Experience working within an LMS
HOW TO APPLY:
If this position sounds right for you, we’re so excited to meet you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “After Hours Java Teaching Assistant – Remote” and your answers to the following questions:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” What does this mean to you?