Consumer behavior is nebulous. Occasionally, hints are dropped for entrepreneurs on how to create a better mousetrap. However, these hints are fleeting, often misguided, and seldom specific enough for a product manager, designer, or engineer to build an exact product that matches the consumer preference in the market. More often than not, this difficulty can make us feel as if consumer behavior is a mythical creature - the understanding of which relegated to the realm of magic gifted at birth to a few lucky billionaires - a magic which can’t be learned.
We don’t believe in magic or divine intervention that graces a few lucky entrepreneurs. We do, however, believe in leveraging structured, rigorous thinking guided by the scientific process to create products that customers love.
As a Principal Product Manager at Root, you’ll own the ideation and execution of creating a more perfect experience for our customers. You’ll leverage data from disparate sources, the talent and insights of your cross-functional partners, and work closely with our customers to craft this experience. You’ll be responsible for product performance, facilitating stakeholder alignment, providing executive updates, development of a product roadmap, and execution of strategic initiatives.
What you'll be doing.
- Work with Product Group Lead to build a strategy from the ground up for your area of focus
- Guide and set priorities for a team of engineers and designers to drive the full product life cycle, spanning ideation, design, implementation, testing, and iteration
- Work across functions to define product requirements and to align stakeholders
- Leverage data from various sources to holistically understand and relentlessly improve product performance
- Continually seek qualitative customer feedback to guide product direction; be the voice of the customer
- Partner with the leadership team to achieve organizational buy-in on key product efforts
What we're looking for.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or another quantitative field. Masters degree or equivalent experience a plus
- 6+ years of business experience, 4+ years of product experience
- Product domain expertise spanning the customer discovery, planning, and product development process
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills; naturally collaborative and able to work directly with a team as well as cross-functionally without direct managerial authority
- A passion for uncovering customer insights and serving as an advocate for the customer
- Exemplary problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically and innovatively
- Detail-oriented; ability to multitask and prioritize projects
- Roll-up-the sleeves work ethic and “do-what-it takes” attitude to efficiently execute and drive for results in a fast-paced work environment
- Proven ability to thrive in a results-oriented, fast-paced work environment