Guideline is looking for a Payroll Manager to join the Finance team to support our growth. We are looking for an individual contributor to join the Finance team as payroll and benefits manager. The Payroll Manager will be an important member of the Finance to maintain all aspects of payroll, benefits, state payroll filings and HR compliance work regarding payroll. You will also foster relationships with outsourced providers and with team members by establishing relationships with multiple teams.
Reporting to our Senior Director of Finance you will be an essential partner to the Finance and People Operations teams and act as a liaison for our payroll provider.
Guideline Inc. aims to give everyone a better future by making it easy (and enjoyable!) to save for retirement. We're changing an industry that hasn't seen innovation in over 40 years—an industry that's left small businesses and a changing workforce behind.
What You Will Be Working On
- Manage payroll processing and review for all employees including both salaried and hourly including on-cycle and off-cycle pay periods, final paychecks and bonus payouts; assist with the registration for new State/SUI/Local payroll tax.
- Work directly with Guideline's IT, Legal and People Operations teams to ensure Payroll requirements, serving as the primary contact for Payroll.
- Partner with the People Operations team to ensure payroll data flows between PeopleOps and Payroll and ensure changes are implemented correctly across multiple systems.
- Develop a user testing strategy for Payroll including assisting in the auditing/reconciliation of the data for processing Payroll.
- Reconcile payments for HSA, FSA, 401k and all company benefits
- Be the system expert for Payroll, managing daily systems, compliance with existing states and the addition of new states, maintenance and ad hoc setup for internal payroll codes/updates.
- Help oversee the preparation, processing, maintenance and appropriate distribution of payroll information, payroll reports, and tax year-end reports, providing back up to other payroll employees.
- Apply knowledge of IRS regulations, State taxes, wage and hour laws, and local tax requirements to ensure compliance.
- Support month end close by providing payroll reports and explanations.
- Document payroll processes and workflows.
- Partner with the People team to ensure accurate processing of new hires, terminations, raises, bonuses, and leaves of absence.
- Be the main contact for all payroll related matters and provide prompt, and efficient customer service to employees who have questions regarding their pay, deductions, and the payroll process.
What We're Looking For
- 6+ years experience managing all aspects of payroll, including familiarity with both salaried and hourly employees across multiple states
- Maintain data confidentiality with a sense of professional integrity
- Advanced level Excel skills (can perform complex functions), with the ability to develop and create ad hoc reports
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or other quantitative discipline
- Experience implementing ADP HRIS and Payroll system, including familiarity with Ceridian
- Experience managing complex projects
- Experience managing multi-states DOR registration, including payroll tax audits
- Experience with SOX compliance and procedures
- Experience with U.S. federal and state taxation
- Inquisitive and creative nature around designing processes
- Knowledge of payroll protocols, including IRS regulations, Federal, State, and local tax and labor laws, and IRS Sections 401k and 125, and worker's compensation required
- Multi-state tax and payroll compliance experience of wage and hour requirements by state
- Working knowledge of general payroll protocols and accounting principles
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation
- Experience implementing payroll in new countries
More About Guideline
Technology is the backbone of what we do. It allows us to automate many 401(k) administrative tasks, integrate with leading payroll providers, and build affordable retirement plans for the smallest businesses.
But our platform is powered by people—engineers, account managers, data analysts, retirement consultants, and many more. Together, we're creating a retirement platform that puts people first and empowers small business owners, their employees and the self-employed to not just retire, but arrive at a secure retirement.
In just a few years of operations, we've grown to 30,000+ clients and over $6 billion in assets under management—and have raised $344M with top-tier investors.
- Flexible Vacation Policy
- Great Compensation Package + Equity in the Company
- 401(k) Matching
- 100% coverage of Health / Vision / Dental
- Generous parental leave policy
Guideline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.