Why you’ll love this role
This role represents the opportunity to dive deeper into cross border trade expenses with a dedicated team member for the first time. The analysis and subject matter will be challenging, but there will also be low hanging fruit opportunities given the magnitude of the expenses in question and limited focus historically. This should result in the perfect blend of intellectually stimulating problem solving and immediate financial impact.
About the role
StockX is a two-sided marketplace with Buyers and Sellers in almost every country in the world, leading to thousands of potential trade lanes. Each of these lanes has a different cost structure of duties, taxes, and freight. Our ability to consistently and accurately cover these costs is the most important part of our profit margin structure, unlocking margin consistency that makes us immune to shifts in lane mix and allows us to confidently lean into growth initiatives.
Your role will be to help us accurately monitor and model these costs so that we can set the appropriate fees for buyers and sellers. Furthermore, you will be tasked with finding opportunities for cost reduction that can be shared with our users to reduce friction in the marketplace and improve our financial performance.
About the team
Revenue Management is responsible for global pricing strategy, analysis, and operations, as well as profitability improvements and net new business models. We also support cross functional teams on business case development for new initiatives, and finance in our financial planning processes. With buyers and sellers in nearly 200 markets around the world, and several existing pricing levers, Revenue Management is a critical and challenging function that seeks to drive company financial performance in a balanced fashion across volume, revenue, and profit.
What you’ll do
- Support our pricing strategy for shipping and cross border fees by maintaining a robust model for the costs associated with each lane: duties, taxes, and freight
- Work with the Compliance and Tax teams to ensure duties and taxes are being applied correctly to the correct import value per the letter of the law
- Locate anomalies in our duty and tax costs that can be taken up with carriers and rectified in a timely manner
- Complete analysis for regular dynamic pricing formula updates based on latest costs
- Forecast changes to lane mix based on pricing changes to allow Operations teams to staff authentication centers appropriately
- Work with Data Engineering to establish a clean pipeline of all carrier costs, including proper binning to duties vs. freight costs and special fees
- Improve routing of packages to optimize for total cost within a given trade lane and then optimize across lanes for optimal mix via dynamic pricing levers
- Develop strategies and requirements for Product & Engineering to more closely align our fees with costs, including predictive models that price based on costs in real time
- Research changes to business model that will reduce tax exposure for us or our users
- Minimum of 2 years experience in roles related to customs & duties, revenue management, financial analysis, or business intelligence
- Possess necessary technical skills related to Excel, Google Sheets, SQL, Tableau
- Ability to complete rigorous analysis and then synthesize to executive level insights that provoke action to grow StockX
- Ability to work well cross functionally with analytical and non-analytical team members
- Knowledge of duties, taxes, and freight cost structures preferred
- Experience working in a cross border trade or e-commerce context preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Business a plus
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
Pursuant to the various pay transparency laws/acts, the base salary range is $80,000 to $90,000 plus opportunities for benefits (e.g., medical, dental), equity and discretionary bonuses. Compensation is dependent on geography and may vary.