SkySpecs envisions a world where wind energy is the most affordable form of electricity and therefore ubiquitous around the world. SkySpecs is helping to make this possible by automating the operations and maintenance of wind farms using advanced robotics paired with our custom-built asset performance management software, Horizon.
SkySpecs launched the world’s first completely autonomous blade inspection product in 2016 with a custom-designed drone system. Since then, SkySpecs has inspected over 50,000 wind turbines in over 25+ countries, becoming the world leader in understanding the health of turbine blades. Identifying issues with turbine blades is only the first step. In 2019 SkySpecs launched Horizon to be a platform for SkySpecs to offer a multi-layered solution for customers that includes: data collection, wind turbine blade engineering expertise, and a place for all stakeholders to collaborate to manage and analyze massive amounts of data, spot trends, and create plans for high-cost repair campaigns. Ultimately, this will help reduce the cost and risk of operations for the industry.
WHAT WILL I BE GETTING MYSELF INTO?
SkySpecs will probably be unlike any place you’ve ever worked. You will find a high energy environment filled with incredibly smart people solving hard problems. SkySpecs values collaboration, multidisciplinary problem solving, and a mantra of ‘under-promise, over-deliver’. SkySpecs is at a critical growth period where there is an endless number of opportunities to make an impact.
Some highlights for your coming year could include:
- Rearchitecting and drastically expanding the way Horizon ingests data and the way it presents that data to users so they can make better decisions by having better context.
- Applying your craft to real and urgent problems the world faces in its journey towards renewable energy.
- Helping an "early stage" engineering-rooted company grow quickly into a healthy, smoothly-operated "mid stage" organization.
IN A GIVEN WEEK, YOU WILL:
- [10%] Work with product managers and other engineers to understand proposed changes that intersect multiple systems across all levels of the stack.
- These changes could look like a combined effort of spinning up a new datastore, spinning up a new microservice and attach it to our federated graph, and spinning up a new frontend experience that ties all those pieces together.
- Or it could look like migrating 10s of millions of images to a new datastore while maintaining continuity.
- Or it could look like untangling different datastores to provide better insight for our BI tools.
- [10%] Work with other engineers to break down these well-architected changes into milestones and stories for you and your peers to work through in sprints.
- [60%] Ship and review a bunch of code.
- [20%] We leave free for you to pursue your own passions for how to improve Horizon and/or our codebase.
- Strong Node.js experience
- PostgreSQL experience
- AWS experience - particularly RDS, SQS, SNS, S3, and Lambda
- Experience working with non-trivial amounts of data (e.g. moving 10s of millions of records)
- Exhibits team values (see below)
SO WHY SHOULD I WORK AT SKYSPECS?
Glad you asked; it’s not a one-way street. We want to sell you on why we’re the best, too.
- We really trust our employees and we go above and beyond. To that end, we work with a flexible work schedule.
- You’ll receive the respect and loyalty of your teammates (and we’re not just saying that; it’s actually a thing around here).
- We offer a fun, energetic, often entertaining workplace that is open and accepting of all interests.
- (When we can) We get to work in downtown Ann Arbor, which equates to restaurants, shops, coffee houses and bars just outside our front door.
- (When we can) We love to hangout with the team socially, sponsor tailgates, and share knowledge in casual settings. We like each other so we enjoy doing stuff together.
- We offer medical, dental and vision insurance.
OUR ENGINEERING TEAM VALUES PEOPLE WHO:
- Are self-accountable
- Plan and communicate collaboratively
- Ask forgiveness, not permission
- Are humble
- Operate autonomously
- Under promise and over deliver
- Pursue passions
- Listen well