Base Pay Range: $68,000.00 - $115,600.00 Annually
Primary Location: USA-MI-Ann Arbor-KLAKLA’s total rewards package for employees may also include participation in performance incentive programs and eligibility for additional benefits identified below. Interns are eligible for some of the benefits identified below. Our pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed above reflects the minimum and maximum pay for this position in the primary location identified in this posting. Actual pay depends on several factors, including location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education level or training. If applicable, your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
KLA is a global leader in diversified electronics for the semiconductor manufacturing ecosystem. Virtually every electronic device in the world is produced using our technologies. No laptop, smartphone, wearable device, voice-controlled gadget, flexible screen, VR device or smart car would have made it into your hands without us. KLA invents systems and solutions for the manufacturing of wafers and reticles, integrated circuits, packaging, printed circuit boards and flat panel displays. The innovative ideas and devices that are advancing humanity all begin with inspiration, research and development. KLA focuses more than average on innovation and we invest 15% of sales back into R&D. Our expert teams of physicists, engineers, data scientists and problem-solvers work together with the world’s leading technology providers to accelerate the delivery of tomorrow’s electronic devices. Life here is exciting and our teams thrive on tackling really hard problems. There is never a dull moment with us.
With over 40 years of semiconductor process control experience, chipmakers around the globe rely on KLA to ensure that their fabs ramp next-generation devices to volume production quickly and cost-effectively. Enabling the movement towards advanced chip design, KLA's Global Products Group (GPG), which is responsible for creating all of KLA’s metrology and inspection products, is looking for the best and the brightest research scientist, software engineers, application development engineers, and senior product technology process engineers. Central Engineering is KLA's largest engineering organization comprised of 9 Centers-of-Excellence (CoE) in various disciplines applied across all product groups in the company. These CoE include Handling & Automation, Precision Motion Control, Sensors & Image Acquisition, Platform Design, and Packaging Engineering, among others. Talent includes over 500 engineers across global centers in Israel, China, India, and the US. Each CoE contributes not just talent and deliverables per discipline toward product programs, but also subject matter expertise, best practices, roadmaps, specialized facilities, apparatus, models, and analytics. These differentiate KLA not only in WHAT we do, but also in HOW we do it.
Job Description/Preferred Qualifications
Central Engineering is KLA's largest engineering organization comprised of several Centers-of-Excellence (CoE) in various subject matter areas applied across all product groups in the company. These CoE include Handling & Automation, Precision Motion Control, Sensors & Image Acquisition, Platform Design, and Packaging Engineering, among others. Our group includes over 700 engineers across global centers in Israel, China, India, and the US. Each CoE contributes domain expertise, roadmaps, specialized facilities, apparatus, models, and analytics. These differentiate KLA not only in WHAT we do, but also in HOW we do it.
KLA is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer for the Vacuum Program in our Central Engineering Group in Ann Arbor. The mechanical engineer will coordinate the design and analysis of precision components and sub-systems for the next generation of KLA tools successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Understand and develop system and subsystem requirement specifications for components used within ultra-high and ultra-clean vacuum environments
- Develop conceptual and detailed designs using 3D modeling software packages (ProE/Creo, etc.)
- Perform thermal and structural analysis using finite element analysis software packages (Ansys, COMSOL, etc.)
- Provide guidance during project schedule development
- Perform feasibility studies and proof of concepts
- Develop test plans for prototypes
- Assist with laboratory testing and assembly
- Hold periodic technical system reviews
- Specify, document and guide procurement of parts
- Develop and guide release of BOMs
- Interact with manufacturing and service teams to support product transition into manufacturing
- Understanding of mechanical engineering principles and fundamentals including design principles, machine elements, materials, fabrication methods, and integration and testing with a focus on vacuum systems
- Understanding of materials and fabrication techniques for vacuum systems
- Experience with high-precision mechanism design for precision instruments
- Proficient in 3D solid modeling using CAD, preferably ProE/Creo
- Ability to lead a small design team
- Analytical problem-solving skills in the structural, dynamic, thermal and fluid domains
- Thermal, vibrational, and airflow modeling through finite element methods are desirable
- Ability to apply engineering tolerance and develop error budgets for components
- Be able to work in a multi-discipline and multi-culture global organization
- Be flexible and adaptive to adjust project focus based on priority changes
- Excellent writing skills and verbal communication
- Ability to travel to customer facilities
Master's level degree with at least 0 years of experience
Bachelor's level degree with at least 3 years of experience
The company offers a total rewards package that is competitive and comprehensive including but not limited to the following: medical, dental, vision, life, and other voluntary benefits, 401(K) including company matching, employee stock purchase program (ESPP), student debt assistance, tuition reimbursement program, development and career growth opportunities and programs, financial planning benefits, wellness benefits including an employee assistance program (EAP), paid time off and paid company holidays, and family care and bonding leave.
KLA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.